Half a century ago, two authors of this analysis dashed from Yom Kippur prayer services to report on a shocking assault against Israel. Today, history repeats itself as Israel faces an unexpected onslaught, this time orchestrated by the radical Palestinians of Hamas, who have governed the Gaza Strip since Israel’s withdrawal in 2005. This unprecedented, unprovoked attack unfolded through land, sea, and air, resulting in the tragic loss of hundreds of innocent lives, spanning all age groups, in their homes, at children’s gatherings, and during concerts. Scores were taken hostage, prompting President Biden and prominent U.S. Republican figures to pledge unwavering support for Israel.
The root cause of Hamas’ aggression is not linked to actions by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Rather, it appears that the attack was triggered by the impending Israeli-Saudi Arabia peace deal, which promised to reshape the Middle East landscape. This echoes the disruption of the Israeli-Palestinian peace plan in 2000 following the Camp David Summit, which gave rise to the Second Intifada and claimed thousands of lives.
Recent events indicated progress toward a transformative three-way agreement between Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the United States. Both Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman and Netanyahu expressed optimism about forging a historic alliance that would encompass security, defense, and economic cooperation. However, Hamas’ incursion into Israel appears to have derailed these prospects, mirroring their interference in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process in 2000.
Regrettably, the biggest losers in this geopolitical maneuvering are the Palestinian people, who were on the brink of economic and security revitalization just days ago, thanks to the Abraham Accords, which one of the authors played a role in. Here are ten critical questions that delve into the strategic implications of these unfolding events:
Saudi Arabia and Qatar’s Accusations: Do Saudi Arabia and Qatar’s accusations against Israel jeopardize diplomatic relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel?
- Hamas appears to have intended to disrupt diplomatic relations, making near-term normalization unlikely. During Palestinian crises, Saudi leadership tends to align with Islamic and Arabic sentiment, making it challenging to break ranks.
Iran’s Role: What role does Iran play, and how will it respond?
- Iran’s rivalry with Saudi Arabia and support for Hamas make it a key player in the region. The international community will likely increase scrutiny of Iran’s involvement, potentially withholding much-needed sanctions relief.
Response of Regional Players: How will Egypt, Jordan, the West Bank/Palestinian Authority, Hezbollah, and other Arab nations respond?
- Despite rhetorical support for Hamas, key Arab nations like Egypt and Jordan are unlikely to provide substantial assistance. Some Arab countries have been increasing trade and cooperation with Israel in recent years.
U.S. Response: How will the United States react?
- President Biden and GOP leaders have expressed bipartisan support for Israel. The U.S. provides significant defense assistance to Israel, and any reduction in support could create a regional power vacuum that Iran, China, or Russia might exploit.
Israeli End Game: What is Israel’s objective?
- Israel aims to neutralize Hamas’ ability to engage in terrorist attacks and restore deterrence. This may require significant destruction within the Gaza Strip, a challenging task given the civilian infrastructure Hamas uses.
U.S. Weaponry Assistance: Will the U.S. face debates similar to those during the Yom Kippur War about providing access to weapons?
- Israel’s advanced arms industry and storehouses reduce the risk of ammunition shortages. However, specific missile interceptors may require resupply.
Russian Involvement: Was Russia involved to distract from its conflict in Ukraine?
- Russia has a history of involvement in Middle East conflicts, and its ties to Iran and Hamas raise questions about its role in Saturday’s attack.
Israeli Intelligence Failure: Did Israel’s intelligence fail, or was there a lack of preparation?
- Despite substantial intelligence resources, Hamas’ audacious attack took Israel by surprise, highlighting the scale and scope of the threat.
U.S. Frozen Funds to Iran: Did the U.S. release of frozen funds to Iran play a role in the Hamas invasion?
- While some argue that the released funds could indirectly support Hamas, the Biden Administration maintains that the funds will be used for humanitarian purposes.
Influence of Hardline Israeli Supporters: Did the involvement of hardline Israeli supporters impact security decisions?
- Internal political distractions may have diverted Israel’s attention away from the threat posed by Hamas, which seeks to disrupt Israel’s stability and regional alliances.
In this complex and evolving geopolitical landscape, the repercussions of Hamas’ actions are felt not only in the immediate conflict but also in the broader regional dynamics and international relations.
Born in the beautiful Tea state of India, Assam . Staying in Bangalore, India .Working as a Chef in Jw Marriot, Bangalore. I am the blog-master at Discus4U. A creative, hyper-active and fun loving blogger who loves to discuss anything. I’m an adhd sufferer, who can’t concentrate on one job. I don’t like to be in one place for too long so I switch jobs often. I am an optimistic person and always try to help people. I love animals and my favorite music is Rap. child at heart and always happy and smiling.